Thank you Mr. President,
Norway welcomes the national report presented by the Mexican Delegation.
We are encouraged by the enactment of Mexico's constitutional reform on Human Rights, and the adoption of the new law protecting journalists and human rights defenders. However, threats and violence against this group persists and perpetrators largely go unpunished.
- We recommend that Mexico ensures an effective implementation of the Protection Mechanism with properly managed funds and trained human resources and that Mexico investigates and prosecutes reported threats, attacks and disappearances
We are further concerned about serious human rights violations against a large number of undocumented migrants that pass through Mexico each year.
- We recommend that Mexico creates a database of disappeared and missing migrants, and that all authorities cooperate to prevent and punish crimes against this group.
Norway welcomes the adoption of the new federal law on human trafficking. However, the law does not provide any funding for the federal human trafficking prosecutors.
- We recommend that Mexico increases funding for federal human trafficking prosecutors and take steps to end the impunity for public officials complicit in human trafficking.
The protection of the rights of indigenous peoples differs greatly between states.
- We recommend that Mexico ensures prior consultations with indigenous communities in accordance with the International Labor Organizations Convention No. 169, and that Mexico improves this group's access to housing, healthcare, education and water.
- When will Mexico reform the Code of Military Justice in accordance with the clear requirements set forth by both the Mexican Supreme Court and the Inter-American Court of Human rights, in order to ensure that all allegations of human rights violations by members of the armed forces are investigated; prosecuted and tried by civilian courts instead of military tribunals?
- What is Mexico doing to prevent and punish violence against women in Mexico's 31 states, particularly those with high reporting of femicides, such as in Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon, State of Mexico and Oaxaca?
- What measures are being taken in the short term to decrease overcrowding in prisons, which in turn leads to inhumane, unsanitary, and dangerous conditions?
- What is the status in the various states regarding the implementation of the constitutional reform on criminal justice in the area of the penitentiary system?